struts-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rollover scope for Struts 1.3.x
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 04:08:16 GMT
My thoughts below:

1) I don't like the term "flash" scope; it's too flashy (pun intended).
I do prefer dialog and "conversation" is just too long. "rollover" is
pretty good but requests do not roll over. What you really have is a
dialog/conversation and I believe those are the proper terms, and they
are precise to explain (in one word) it's scope and limitation. (As a
side note: if the term "flash" has been accepted as an industry
standard, I would use it.)

2) You may not want to implement this as a new scope. I went to Stripes'
website and poked around. I would prefer it that code would call
flash()-like inside the ActionForm which would flag the bean for the
Controller; the Controller on the way out would then add it to its
dialog management. I think this approach simplifies your design further
because it does not even add another scope. I also prefer this because,
given 1.x is a JSP-only architecture, we should not add new terms to it
and leave it to true JSP scopes.

ActionForward execute(...) {
	// do stuff with form
	form.flash();	// method name up for grabs
}

I am a strong believer the action should explicitly state the form
should persist for one more request. It shouldn't be automatic like in a
scope. If you are worried about multiple forms on a page, or other uses
of the form bean in request scope, I would then "flash" the form under a
different name: form.flash("myuniqueid"). I say this because the Struts
action mapping has another attribute @attribute:

 From the DTD for ActionMapping@attribute:
"Name of the request-scope or session-scope attribute that is used to
access our ActionForm bean, if it is other than the bean's specified
"name". Optional if "name" is specified, else not valid."

Paul