struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [s2] Validation
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:11:27 GMT
On 8/25/06, Jason Carreira <forum-struts-dev@opensymphony.com> wrote:
> I think it's problematic to try to specify things like action methods in the XML file.
Keep in
>  mind that there's the JSR-303 spec that's getting started up to deal with validation
in a
> completely environment-agnostic way. It's not going to take into account things like
"I
> was called with the 'foo' execute method in Struts". It will have the concept of validation
> contexts. It will be up to the calling environment to map to the validation context based
on
>  whatever is going on in that environment.

:) Of course, once JSR 303 does start up, you won't be able to talk
about it much, since the JSR panels are bound by confidentiality
agreements, and so everything drops into FUD mode for a year or three
while the JSR panel sorts things out. :)

And, honestly, if we were to adopt methods-as-context validation in
Struts 2, and the spec doesn't honor it, it's not liable to gain much
traction. Not every JSR finds marketplace acceptance. Specs like JSTL
have been successful, but, in the end, after multiple drafts, it was
because the panel figured out how to combine the best of both Struts 1
tags and Velocity expressions.

-Ted.