struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Whose log is this anyway? (was Re: [s1] Commons-Lang)
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:18:21 GMT
On 8/22/06, Don Brown <mrdon@twdata.org> wrote:

> I think a couple extra classes is worth switching from this:
>
> public Order createOrder(User user, Product product, int quantity) {
>     if ( log.isLoggable(Level.FINE) ) {
>         log.fine("Creating new order for user: " + user.username() +
>             " product: " + product.name()
>             + " quantity: " + quantity);
>     }
>     return new Order(user, product, quantity);
> }
>
> to this:
>
> public Order createOrder(User user, Product product, int quantity) {
>     log.debug("Creating new order for user: #0 product: #1 quantity: #2",
> user.username(), product.name(), quantity);
>     return new Order(user, product, quantity);
> }

I suppose it was an accident that you spread the log.fine call over 3 lines,
but used one much longer line for the log.debug example? Stretching a point
perhaps? ;-)

As long as the log output and log configuration for my end application is
unified - so Struts output and Commons component output go to the same place
- then I'm OK with using something other than Commons Logging, if we have
to.

--
Martin Cooper

Considering how often we log things, I think the cleanup is huge and a