struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Hubert Rabago" <hrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [s2] Struts 2.0.0 - Tag it and Roll it?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:24:26 GMT
On 7/24/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:

> -1 on changing the versioning scheme.
>
> But, I would be open to something like
>
> * Struts 2.0 == "WebWork transtional release"
> * Struts 2.1 == "new API release"
> * Struts 3.x == "phase 2 - the best of breed release"

...with pointers on what to consider if users should upgrade or not,
and a clear explanation of what to expect in the near future.  This
could address Tim's initial concern (which I think is valid):

"Users who don't keep completely up to date with the latest goings on will see
this as the latest and greatest and start migrating to it, only to
have a very rude surprise when large changes occur in 2.1, or a 3.0
arrives months later."

Those three lines above, listing 2.0,  2.1 and 3.x, could be
communicated on the front page, on a simple table.  This would be
similar to how Tomcat explains why they have three versions.  Very
straightforward and easy to digest.

Hubert