struts-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Portlet App and Ant (was Re: Would like to remove Ant build from Struts 2)
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:39:03 GMT

On Jul 22, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Ted Husted wrote:

> What about this?
>
> * http://www.twdata.org/backups/WW/how-to-build-the-portlet-war-for-
> a-specific-portal-server.html
>
> Meanwhile, what's involved in setting up Tomcat 5.5. for portlets?

It's a bit more involved than just getting portlets to work in
Tomcat.  You have to install a portal server like Liferay, Jetspeed,
or JBoss Portal.  Liferay can be downloaded as a bundle that includes
Tomcat.  Jetspeed portals can be deployed into Tomcat using Maven 1
(They may have upgraded their scripts to m2 or ant.  There was some
talk about that but I'm not real sure where it went.)  JBoss Portal
comes with JBoss, of course.

Liferay also has an ant portlet deployment script that you can use.
It seems to me that portlet deployment is more of a function of the
portal server than the framework.  Is this question related to
deploying a Struts 2.0 app as a portlet?  If so, maybe the best thing
to provide is a portlet wrapper that can work with an s2 app (similar
to MyFacesGenericPortlet for MyFaces).  Then let the portal vendors
provide the deployment script.

Greg