struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Jouravlev" <jmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DefaultActionMapper compatablity switch
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:51:58 GMT
On 7/25/06, Ted Husted <husted@apache.org> wrote:
> On 7/25/06, Jason Carreira <forum-struts-dev@opensymphony.com> wrote:
> > @Action to mark it as an Action method?
>
> Stripes uses the annontation @DefaultHandler where we would configure
> a default action, which might imply the annotation @Handler for what
> we are talking about here.
>
>  * http://stripes.mc4j.org/confluence/display/stripes/Annotation+Reference
>
> -Ted.

In Stripes an action has dispatch style by default. In the "one action
- one service" case an action contains just one method marked as
@DefaultHandler (I am not sure it even has to be marked if there are
no other methods). Simple and convenient. I also like that Stripes use
"handler" to call methods, not action classes.

Returning back to Struts and to Struts 1 in particular:

* "handler" ==> a method that handles a request, can be several of
these for a dispatch action
* "default handler" ==> Action.execute()
* I am still reluctant to call a "handler" something that can be
either an Action or a Command. Seeminly S2 does not have this problem
because it does not have Commands and interceptors are clearly
different things. Whether to keep using "action" for both Action and
Command in S1, or to introduce neutral "worker" and use it for both S1
and S2 endpoints, or to use "handler" like Ted suggested? In the
latter case we will have to distinguish classes and methods.
* I think it is quite obvious that base Action in S1should be
retrofitted to provide dispatching... er... multi-handler
capabilities. Don and Frank have already agreed to this before, so I
hope that the above Stripes example will finally convince Niall ;-)