struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Shale] Nightly Builds Resumed
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 01:03:39 GMT
On 6/12/06, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:

> Craig,
>
> James and I are going to attempt to setup the Shale continuum server
> on Wednesday.  Should we try to setup the publishing of Shale
> nightlies as well?

That would be awesome!  But I wouldn't bother setting up the Ant based
builds, though; the focus should be on getting the Maven based things to
work.  A wrinkle is you might have to be a bit adaptable on the assembly
stuff, as we're not quite done creating that.  And, that actually raises a
question about what MyFaces is doing on the topic of sample applications (as
well as to solicit advice from other folks here as well).

For maximum user benefit, it's nice to ship sample apps "ready to run", with
all their dependent jars included.  But with four apps already, that would
mean lots of jar files duplicated -- which would really bloat an all-in-one
download.  For the Ant based builds, I took the tack of creating several
kinds of artifacts:

* A zip of the framework itself (library jars, sources, javadocs)

* A zip  of the dependencies (which Maven will eliminate the need for

* A war file for each example (ideally with a buildable source module
  and javadocs for the application classes included inside).

What do you think of this kind of strategy for Maven based builds as well?

Sean

Craig