struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven 2 website documentation editing
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2006 05:24:39 GMT

> > Don't forget to add "-Pmyfaces" as well ... the site generation seems to
> > want to compile everything again, and  some of the compiles will fail
> > without either -Pmyfaces or -Pjsfri being explicity listed (most likely
> > Maven issue).
>
> I have a question out on users@maven to see how to get exactly one of
> those activated, with a default.
>
> > Mystery:  This runs for me on my Linux desktop, but on my Windows XP
> laptop
> > I get "Required goal not found: site:stage" ... it's as if Maven doesn't
> > know that this goal exists.  It is Maven 2.0.4 in both cases.  Do I need
> > do something special to make it recognize this?
>
> Old site plugin?  Try -U on the command line to make it update, or
>    rm -rf $M2_REPO/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin
> so it will download again.

The -U switch worked.  Hmm, does that mean Maven treats snapshot plugins
different from snapshot dependencies?

> * Even though I used the -DstagingDirectory approach, the javadocs
> >   for the modules aren't correctly linked from the website home page.
> >   That's probably because those links are done manually.
>
> I don't think it will automatically add links to sub-project Javadoc,
> but see below.
>
> > * On the Project Summary page, the description seems to come from
> >   the struts parent POM (and I think I've seen this text still in some
> of
> > the
> >   generated MANIFEST.MF files too).  Can we make it come from the
> >   Shale parent instead?
>
> Is there one?  Add a <description> to the shale-parent pom and it
> should override the inherited one.  Keep in mind that the jar plugin
> uses <description> as the Specification-Title.  There's an issue open,
> we're arguing that it should use <name> instead and give us back the
> multi-line description.

I'll do that with <description> for now, but I'm on your side about using
<name> for the manifest.

> * The "Dependencies" and "Dependency Convergence" reports address
> >   my earlier question about a hierarchical chain of dependencies,
> although
> >   the links on the latter page are all broken.  But it pointed me to a
> > version  mismatch problem that's already been fixed.
>
> I think I've seen that mentioned on the Maven user list, there's
> probably an issue open.

OK.

> * The project reports for each module don't seem to be linked into the
> > overall site anywhere.  Should they be?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, can you give an example of what you want it to
> do?

Just as one example ... as the site generation was occurring, I saw it
create checkstyle reports for each module.  But I can't seem to find them
anywhere on the generated site. I would imagine we should also be able to
see all the other module-specific reports.

Everything is moving towards aggregation, but not all of it works yet.
> As with Maven 1, you can override the default page that gets
> generated, so for example in Struts Action we have
> src/site/apidocs/index.xml for this:
>    http://struts.apache.org/struts-action/apidocs/index.html

We'll clearly want an aggregated site, but I'm wondering if focusing on the
assembly stuff might not be more urgent, so we can resurrect the nightly
builds.  Those have a timeout on the server, and I'm getting pinged from a
couple of users that it looks like the project is not progressing since
those are not being generated.

--
> Wendy

Craig