struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tracing Maven2 Transitive Dependencies
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:02:01 GMT

> On 6/10/06, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You get rid of them by adding a <dependency> in the webapp pom marked
> > provided or optional.  Maven constructs a dependency graph and uses
> > the "closest" definition.
>
> Missed a word there. :)  You _can_ get rid of them this way, though
> <exclude>s are more correct.

Actually, I was thinking of the "provided" approach ... and I can even
rationalize it :-).  Shale requires a JDK 1.4 or later environment, which
includes (among other things) a built-in XML parser.  Therefore, marking
these two dependencies as "provided" would make sense.  Probably in the
shale-parent POM (or possibly the one for apps, since we have control over
the dependency declarations in the core libraries).

--
> Wendy

Craig