struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven2 and Functional/Integration Tests
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 05:53:40 GMT

> On 6/5/06, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It *should* still be possible to achieve what you want currently (I
> > thought Vincent's chapter discussed that, but I don't might be
> > mistaken). It may take some effort, though, and I'm not sure of any
> > existing examples. The 'integration-test' phase was meant to be a
> > general hook to facilitate this where possible.
>
> The problem I keep running into is that there is only one
> <build>/<testSourceDirectory>, and there is no
> <profile>/<build>/<testSourceDirectory> in the model.  If that
> existed, it seems like you could get another execution of Surefire
> using a second source directory.

That's the key problem, and that's why the "duplicate" closing is going to
neglect what I'm interested in.

Maven2 needs to support integration testing as a first class notion in the
architecture of what you envision a "project" to be.  It's not just webapps
.. you've got the same sort of issue with EJBs, or web services, or anything
that gets deployed in a container.  Unit tests just don't give you the
confidence you need that the application will actually work.  I've seen too
many cases where all the unit tests on a webapp all pass with flying colors,
but it throws an HTTP 500 on the welcome page because of a stupid coding
error in the JSP page that wasnt' tested with the unit tests.

What's needed is a complete additional test environment, with its own
lifecycle, and its own classpath (i.e. dependencies tagged to this scope so
you only load things like HttpUnit or HtmlUnit here).  If integration tests
exist, they should be part of the default "mvn install" processing, just
like unit tests are, unless it is explicitly disabled.  Don't pretend that
there is only one kind of "test"!!!

Otherwise, you guys are not being serious about trying to encouraging best
practices in build environments :-(.

Craig

PS:  (I'm going to paste the above comments into the bug report as well, so
Maven folks who aren't subscribed here will see them.)

You're hinting that it's possible, though... what am I missing?