struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [shale] Maven 2 profile activation
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 05:17:26 GMT

> No.  Dependencies come transitively from artifacts, they are not
> inherited from poms.  In this case, servlet-api and jsp-api are marked
> 'provided' so they are not transitive.

Okay... the second part is true. :)  Dependencies are inherited, no
idea what I was thinking there.

>From your other message, I think you've got it worked out, so go ahead
and do whatever makes sense.

As with Martin's question about the <repositories> in the parent poms,
I'd rather see some duplication until we're certain these things are
common to all of the modules.  While you can override a dependency
version in a child pom, you can't really get rid of an inherited one
that you don't want.

(The trick of marking things provided keeps them from being
transitive, but it does put them on the classpath for compilation.)

--
Wendy