struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven2 and Functional/Integration Tests
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 06:23:50 GMT
> What's needed is a complete additional test environment, with its own
> lifecycle, and its own classpath (i.e. dependencies tagged to this scope so
> you only load things like HttpUnit or HtmlUnit here).  If integration tests
> exist, they should be part of the default "mvn install" processing, just
> like unit tests are, unless it is explicitly disabled.  Don't pretend that
> there is only one kind of "test"!!!
>
> Otherwise, you guys are not being serious about trying to encouraging best
> practices in build environments :-(.

A bit harsh, don't you think?  The Maven devs have been discussing
this, and do plan to improve it.

It's not like you _can't_ do integration testing with Maven as it
stands.  The typical project ends up being multi-module anyway, so
having 'core', 'webapp' and 'integration' works.  You build from the
top, enabling the integration tests with a profile as desired.

AFAIK the archetype plugin doesn't currently have the capability to
set up a multi-module build in one pass, so we might provide something
like the shale-starter zip we currently have, rearranged for Maven.
And/or we could provide a shale-it archetype with the current
suggested configuration for integration testing.

Just remember that I warned you guys when we started converting Struts
Action to Maven 2... Maven isn't finished yet. :)

--
Wendy