struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Struts 1.3.x: Using multiple chain configurations
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:25:07 GMT
At 9:09 PM +0100 6/14/06, Phil Zoio wrote:
>I can't comment on how people are actually using it, but changing
>the request processor workflow on a per module basis is quite easy
>with Struts 1.2. Assuming that this is something which some people
>are doing, then it would seem to make sense to support this for
>Struts 1.3 as well, at least for the interests of consistency with
>previous versions, especially if the 1.2 request processor has been
>earmarked for deprecation.

Phil:

Have you looked at what is required to change the workflow in Struts
1.3 on a per-module basis?  Can you point out where you think it's
unnecessarily complicated?  Do you have any ideas about how to do it
differently?

Joe

>Phil
>

>Joe Germuska wrote:
>
>>At 9:23 PM +0100 6/13/06, Phil Zoio wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to have multiple chain configurations for the same
>>>Struts 1.3 app. For example, can you configure one module to use
>>>tiles and another to not do so?
>>

>>It is technically possible to change which command is looked up in
>>the catalogs and executed to process the request as part of the
>>controller-config on  per-module basis.  However, you'd need to go
>>to some greater lengths to define the necessary commands and
>>catalogs, because the distributed chain-config.xml in both
>>struts-core and struts-tiles use the same catalog name.  The idea
>>was to minimize the places where a user would need to change
>>configurations to use Tiles.
>

>>For the specific case you cite, there's really no need to do
>>anything special, since if you are using the Tiles request
>>processing chain, nothing prevents you from using ActionForwards
>>which do not point to tiles paths intermixed with those which do.
>>Just use the chain-config packaged in struts-tiles (as indicated at
>>http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13#head-dfc970a4614f0305c8ac31f1d08fbdfcdd666b5d)
>>
>>If people end up doing a lot of mixing and matching of chain
>>catalogs, we would want to make this easier than it is now, but so
>>far we just don't know enough about if or how people are likely to
>>want to do this, so it's hard to know how to make it easier.
>>

>>Joe

Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog