struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Struts 1.3.x: Using multiple chain configurations
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:10:17 GMT
At 9:23 PM +0100 6/13/06, Phil Zoio wrote:
>Is it possible to have multiple chain configurations for the same
>Struts 1.3 app. For example, can you configure one module to use
>tiles and another to not do so?

It is technically possible to change which command is looked up in
the catalogs and executed to process the request as part of the
controller-config on  per-module basis.  However, you'd need to go to
some greater lengths to define the necessary commands and catalogs,
because the distributed chain-config.xml in both struts-core and
struts-tiles use the same catalog name.  The idea was to minimize the
places where a user would need to change configurations to use Tiles.

For the specific case you cite, there's really no need to do anything
special, since if you are using the Tiles request processing chain,
nothing prevents you from using ActionForwards which do not point to
tiles paths intermixed with those which do.  Just use the
chain-config packaged in struts-tiles (as indicated at
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13#head-dfc970a4614f0305c8ac31f1d08fbdfcdd666b5d)

If people end up doing a lot of mixing and matching of chain
catalogs, we would want to make this easier than it is now, but so
far we just don't know enough about if or how people are likely to
want to do this, so it's hard to know how to make it easier.

Joe
--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog