struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Locale resolver (Re: WW/SAF2 i18n & Cintoo Messages)
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:30:29 GMT
At 1:01 PM -0700 6/30/06, Paul Benedict wrote:
>Joe,
>
>First, thanks for pointing out cintoo. I looked at the source and it
>seems like it could be something s1/2 could share together. Are you
>interested in investigating this with me? Is anyone else?

that wasn't me :)  I don't have a ton of spare time for investigation
right now, and I'm inclined to follow Jason's idea that if WW2 has a
good solution for this, there's no compelling reason to gut two
frameworks just to change the messaging system.

>Second, placing the logic in a SetLocale command is fine, but it
>would be nothing more than delegate to the real class which does the
>work. The getting/setting of the locale should be an independent
>class so that other implementations and adjunct frameworks and use
>it too. For instance, I ocassionaly consult with the user's Struts
>locale, if it exists, in non-struts tag libraries so that my code is
>not totally ignorant of frameworks. This is only possible because
>the retrieving of the locale is in a independent class: RequestUtils.

I blew past some of the details of your description.  I see what
you're getting at now.

Personally, I think using an interface is a cleaner design than
depending upon reflection, but I wouldn't veto a reflection based
solution.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog