struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Brett Porter" <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven2 and Functional/Integration Tests
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 06:12:23 GMT
> Maven2 needs to support integration testing as a first class notion in the
> architecture of what you envision a "project" to be.

It may not have been clear enough, but that's exactly what I meant in
my last email. I thought this is what the wiki page discussed - if you
think something is missing there, let me know.

Somehow I missed the correct issue I was thinking of, MNG-1381, so
I've linked that now instead. I'm just trying to consolidate this. I
can assure you it is the issue you are thinking of - sorry for the
confusion, re-reading I see MNG-591 is a specific use case of
integration testing and not very helpful.

> It's not just webapps
> .. you've got the same sort of issue with EJBs, or web services, or anything
> that gets deployed in a container.  Unit tests just don't give you the
> confidence you need that the application will actually work.  I've seen too
> many cases where all the unit tests on a webapp all pass with flying colors,
> but it throws an HTTP 500 on the welcome page because of a stupid coding
> error in the JSP page that wasnt' tested with the unit tests.

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

> What's needed is a complete additional test environment, with its own
> lifecycle, and its own classpath (i.e. dependencies tagged to this scope so
> you only load things like HttpUnit or HtmlUnit here).  If integration tests
> exist, they should be part of the default "mvn install" processing, just
> like unit tests are, unless it is explicitly disabled.  Don't pretend that
> there is only one kind of "test"!!!

Again, what I was getting at. This was discussed at length on the
Maven dev list and is summarised on the wiki page.

> Otherwise, you guys are not being serious about trying to encouraging best
> practices in build environments :-(.

Of course we are.

- Brett