struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <ted.hus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Struts Wiki] Update of "StrutsActionRelease200" by TedHusted
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:55:16 GMT
On 6/19/06, Gabe <gjz22@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Being new to this, I was wonder what the upcoming process will be in terms of adding
> new features. i.e. Is each feature to be considered voted on, etc.

It's mainly done along the lines of the Rough Spots page, or the

In the end, the only votes that matter are code. Struts is generally a
Commit-Then-Review project. If a committer feels that a change will
meet the general consensus, then he or she makes the commit. If
someone disagrees with the change, he or she can toss a -1, and we can
continue the discussion.

It's less about voting and more about collaboration. Voting on code is
something we tend to do only when there isn't clear agreement, or when
there are multiple implementations on the table.

> Also, will new XWork features be handled at opensymphony and struts 2.0 features
> handled here?

XWork features should be handled through the XWork project.

> The two big issues not on the items under consideration list that would be my highest
priorities are:
> 1) Deprecate '#' entirely in the EL and similarly discourage use of the OgnlContext to
> store variables, instead add setting on the OgnlValueStack.
> 2) A compromise reached on bucket sorting of parameters so that bucket sorting isn't
the
> only way you can accomplish the use case.

The items listed here are those that seemed to have a lot of buy-in
from the people contributing to the rough spots page. It's not meant
to be an exhaustive list. Anything on the list is also contingent on
someone writing the code.

> Of course, I am willing to contribute all necessary code by the release target date for
the above issues or any of the other OGNL issues / XWork conversion issues listed, since those
are my main areas of expertise.