struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <ted.hus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SAF1 Checkstyle (was: Maven 2 website documentation editing)
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:46:41 GMT
The problem is patches. People will tend to write patches against
whatever version they are using. If we make a lot of changes right
after a popular release, then a lot of the patches people submit back
won't work. The ideal time for broad refactorings is at the beginning
of a minor series (pre #.0.0),  rather than in the middle of several
point releases(.

In the grand scope, it would be better if Niall could roll 1.3.5 now
rather than wait. If this milestone works out, then we might have to
target 1.4 for the next round of pro-forma refactorings.

-Ted.

> Ok, cool Niall... I guess we maybe need to decide what the "wait point"
> really is here... do we want to wait for GA before I generate these
> patches, or just the next release?  At first I thought Ted was saying
> let's wait for GA, but then it sounded like maybe just wait for 1.3.5
> (which may or may not be GA of course!).  It's cool with me either way,
> just want to make sure we're all on the same page... no sense in me doing
> work that will either take a long time to get applied (I'm assuming
> someone *will* apply them), or possibly have to be re-done anyway because
> a release or two maybe makes them invalid.
>
> Frank
>

> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
> AIM: fzammetti
> Yahoo: fzammetti
> MSN: fzammetti@hotmail.com
> Java Web Parts -
> http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net
> Supplying the wheel, so you don't have to reinvent it!
>
> On Thu, June 15, 2006 11:21 am, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> >> So you don't want to wait for GA now?  That's fine with me... I'm not
> >> sure
> >> I can take care of all the complaints by July, but I should be able to
> >> get
> >> rid of enough of them to make it worth doing (the two things I mentioned
> >> the other day would probably cut the numbers in half alone, and they're
> >> low-hanging fruit I think).
> >
> > I'm going to try and find time for 1.3.5 next week - it may not
> > happen, but if I can then IMO better to leave till after.
> >
> > Niall

> >> Frank

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/