struts-dev mailing list archives

From David Gagnon <dgag...@siunik.com>
Subject Re: Why TagUtils.instance is final static. That cause me a lot of problem.. Is a small change can be done ...?
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:24:24 GMT
Hi,

> The problem is that these things were designed before the
> IOC/Dependency Injection design patterns had really infected the minds
> of open source architects, and there was no standard way to have a
> framework "discover" implementations of various interfaces. Add that
> to the fact that no one had brought up any use cases for different
> implementation classes and you end up with an incomplete solution.
>
> Have you got any suggestions about how the tag code would locate a
> TagUtils implementation?  Actually, for taglibs, it's a little easier,
> because you can assume access to a pageContext almost anywhere, which
> means you can look up a TagUtils implementation in application scope.
> Perhaps a static method on TagUtils which took a ServletContext (or
> perhaps even a PageContext) and looked under a well-known key for a
> TagUtils instance or an implementation class name, and if it couldn't
> find it, reverted to returning the conventional one?
If you offer a way to specify the implementation I think a
registerInstance method will be the best way.

In the ActionServlet.initOther method struts register conversion with
the ConvertUtils object:

ConvertUtils.register(new BigDecimalConverter(null), BigDecimal.class);

At least it's the way it's done in 1.2

We could have a TagUtils.registerInstance() method that will take a
TagUtils instance.  We could create this instance from a struts property.

I don't know if that make sense in the actual version of struts thought?

Or as I said at least put the instance variable as PROTECTED and NOT
final.  This way I will be able to inherit from the TagUtils class and
change the instance (This method is not fully clean but having the
instance PRIVATE FINAL doens`nt make sense anyway (for me at least).

Best Regards
/David Gagnon