struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Don Brown" <donald.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Renaming XWork packages (was Poll: What part of a Struts...)
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:01:06 GMT
What about doing what Sun does with Xalan for Java 5 and rename XWork
packages?  With the changes we are making to XWork 2.0, I don't think
it will co-exist with WebWork 2.2.2/3 very well, if at all.

Therefore:

com.opensymphony.xwork

will become:

org.apache.struts.action2.com.opensymphony.xwork or
org.apache.com.opensymphony.xwork or even
org.apache.struts.action2.xwork

If the new API does its job, XWork should be completely hidden for the
user anyways and for legacy apps, they just need a simple refactoring.

Don

> Isn't possible to be an issue with XWork dependency? I don't think 2
> different versions of XWork can co-exist on the same webapp.... but I
> may be wrong.
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>

> On 6/13/06, Jason Carreira <forum-struts-dev@opensymphony.com> wrote:
> > > Well, it would have made Atlassian's life easier.
> > > JIRA is written with
> > > WW1 and Confluence is written with WW2, the two
> > > versions cannot
> > > coexist in the same web application, and they still
> > > haven't gotten
> > > around to migrating JIRA. When people (like me) run
> > > both applications,
> > > we need to run them as two separate web apps, instead
> > > of two "modules"
> > > that can share session.
> >
> > Not to nitpick, but WW1 and WW2 CAN peacefully coexist, because we changed the package
names in the change. At Notiva we converted the app piecemeal from WW1 to WW2 over time, moving
over new pieces and migrating anything old that we had to touch. We simply mapped them to
different extensions.

> > I'm not sure why Atlassian didn't switch over. Maybe it just didn't ever make sense.
Maybe there was some other issue with common configuration files that we didn't run into at
Notiva. But I can tell you that they can run side-by-side, just as WebWork 2.x and Struts
2.x will be able to.