struts-dev mailing list archives

From James Mitchell <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Location for nightly builds
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:27:46 GMT
On Jun 20, 2006, at 12:45 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:

> On 6/20/06, James Mitchell <jmitchell@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Craig and I were discussing a few offline items and one thing that
>> came up was how we currently publish the nightlies.  We agree that
>> this is best discussed in public, so here I am :)
>>
>> Currently the nightly build can be found (or will be) on minotaur
>> (people.apache.org) under /builds/struts.  For years the builds were
>> done on Craig's personal machine, which would be scp'd up to minotaur
>> and everything moved happily along for a while.  Then, as the svn
>> reorg occurred and we sort-of began moving to a Maven 1 based build,
>> I was using my personal machine to build and upload the maven-built
>> artifacts to the same place.
>>
>> The only problem with the "using a personal machine" approach is that
>> if some dependency changed (with the Ant based build), then, due to
>> the way our build files worked, Craig had to make the manual change
>> on his personal machine.  However, with Maven (1 and 2), everything
>> is declarative in the pom.xml, and so unless there's some weird bug
>> in a current plugin or if the POM now needs a later plugin version,
>> there really isn't a need to touch the machine or the local
>> configuration.
>>
>> Later, I moved this process off my personal machine and used my
>> account on the zone to build and scp over to minotaur the same way.
>> This was an improvement in reliability, but we still have the problem
>> that this was *my* account and not just anyone could fix it if there
>> was a problem.
>>
>> Looking back ... in and of itself, the actual location of the build
>> is insignificant with regard to authenticity or security.  Anyone
>> with an Apache account can upload anything they like to (almost)
>> wherever they like.  And so long as the build requirements or
>> dependencies didn't change, everything went along like clockwork.
>>
>> Fast forward to June 2006, here we are with more or less 4 Maven 2
>> based projects, each with multiple artifacts.
>>
>> I see our options as:
>>
>> Build using:
>> 1) personal machine
>> 2) zone (personal account)
>> 3) zone (shared account, i.e. mrstruts)
>>
>> Users download from:
>> a) minotaur
>> b) zone
>>
>> Currently we are a mixture of 1a and 3a.  Also, 3b isn't really a
>> viable option because someone would have to use their private key for
>> that shared account (so the scp process would work).
>

> You mean 3a isn't viable, right? 3b wouldn't require scp at all,
> would it?

Wow, I guess it was later than I thought.  Yes, I meant to say we are
currently using a mixture of 1a and 2a.  And that 3a isn't really a
viable option.

If b is used/allowed, then it makes the most sense to go with 3b, so
everyone can help with fixes and updates.

> Furthermore, I had always assumed that hosting nightlies from the
>> zone was out of the question.  Is that not the case?
>

> I don't know. I think it would be worth a ping to infra, since I
> would think
> this would be the best option.

I'll wait to see how everyone else feels before moving further on
this.  I am assuming that no news means everyone agrees and has no
problems with the current path.

> Either way, I can see one other approach.  3a with the ability of a
>> few people to su to root, then su to the personal account (e.g.
>> jmitchell) and fix whatever.
>

> I suppose, although this would mean we'd have to hand out root more
> than I'd
> like.
>
> There's also a discussion going on in various places about a
> machine named
> vmbuild, which is intended as a build machine for all (?) projects. I
> haven't been paying close attention, but perhaps we should engage
> there?

Ya, I've seen a few mentions of it on infra, but not completely sure
of what the intent is.  They do talk about a shared Continuum on it
though.  Not sure if we'd want to take advantage of it, now that
we've got our own :)

So, I'm waiting to hear what others think as far as where and how
nightlies get published.

--
James Mitchell