struts-dev mailing list archives

From gvanma...@comcast.net (Gary VanMatre)
Subject Re: [shale]: javascript validation function errors in Shale 1.0.3
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 00:29:57 GMT
>From: jack.cheng@commercan.com
>
> Hi,
> the callback functions generated by ValidatorScript component will
> cause the following javascript error on FireFox and IE:
> Error: missing ( before formal parameters
> Source File: http://localhost:8080/ebusiness/modules/account/create.jsf
> Line: 279, Column: 13
> Source Code:
> function page:_id0:_id1:_id7:_id13:create_account_form_email() {
>
> this is due to the presence of colons in the callback function name and
> only happens if you have a form in an html page that is processed by a
> clay tag on a JSP page. Shale 1.0.2 works fine.

Yeah, I totally missed that one.  It's actually a problem with any form contained in a "NamingContainer",
not just clay.  The clay component is a naming container so that explains the association.
  This  problem was introduced with the validator 1.3 upgrade.  The java script is now contained
in the commons validator jar.  The new  script use a utility function "jcv_retrieveFormName"
extracts the form name that is then used when forming the form specific javascript validation
functions.
We might be able to fix this one by creating our own flavor of the "jcv_retrieveFormName"
function that strips the ':' char  besides changes to the ValidatorScript control.
Please submit a JIRA ticket on this one (http://issues.apache.org/struts/secure/Dashboard.jspa)
Gary