struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request to publish Struts 1.3.5
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 05:28:16 GMT
On 5/28/06, Paul Benedict <paul4christ79@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ted,
>
> I am asking about the website, not the builds. I know the developer
> builds are always available, but I see no reason why we shouldn't
> publish the 1.3.x website on the left-hand bar as we release new
> beta versions. We don't need a vote for that.

To publish a beta release on the website, we need to put the release
somewhere that the download link can point to.  That really evolves down to
two choices:

* Link it to an Apache server (where Wendy's test build is) and
  suffer the wrath of the Apache infrastructure group when a huge
  number of people try to download it -- given how widely Struts
  is used, this is likely to be a very serious hit on the Apache
  infrastructure.

* Publish the release "in the usual way" so that it goes to the
  mirror sites, to spread the download impact around the world.

The first choice is totally inappropriate, and will get a guaranteed -1 from
me.  If we want to tell the world about a release, it needs to go out to the
mirrors -- which means it needs to be published just like a GA release.
*That* is when it is reasonable to link it off the website, as well as tell
the user list about it.

Paul

Craig