struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JavaOne Ajax Discussion
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 15:10:55 GMT
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 10:32 am, Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> > In the DWR-WW action invocation toy I have used when building
> > InfoQ.com, the action invocation passes through exactly the same
> > process as a normal request, so I have no concerns.
>
> I haven't seen your work, so I can't talk intelligently about it... I
> would agree though that if DWR is going to make HTTP calls to execute
> Actions (a suggestion I might add that I made about two months ago to Joe
> with regard to how to better integrate with Struts), then that certainly
> alleviates my concern.  However, that's a completely different calling
> mechanism for DWR, as I mentioned when I originally made the suggestion...
> I suggested something of a pluggable architecture in terms of the calling
> mechanism from DWR to the target object, so you could do an IPC call as it
> basically does not, or an HTTP request, or RMI, or whatever else... I
> don't see that as being a problem, but it *does* fundamentally change the
> way DWR works now, at least (a) as far as I understand it and (b) in this
> case specifically for WW, as it obviously couldn't be the *only* way it
> works.

Not sure how to read it, but call it request, or XMLHttpRequest it is
still a request hiting your server. Probably on the comet-part things
may be different, but that's completely another story.

About the other things I fully agree: a framework should never provide
something that  shoots the user in his foot... but a framework will
never be able to guarantee that if the user especially wants this to
happen it will not be able to do it :-).

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.