struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Molitor" <emoli...@molitor.org>
Subject Re: [action2] Leveraging known constructs (was Public API first draft)
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 16:25:13 GMT
Happily XWork has no dependency on web development at all, I use it to
provide a command pattern for autonomous path finding robots for
instance. Anything less than complete abstraction at the action level
would be vetoed by most of the existing developers. (At least I hope
they would vote it down as a bad idea.)  While you may see such
interfaces as *Servlet which provide a convenient way to access the
ServletSession their use is generally frowned upon.

One of the driving factors that pushed me to WebWork, really XWork in
this case, is that it has no hard dependencies on the Servet API's.
There already exists code for invoking actions via SWING, XML, JMS,
etc. You can just as easily use your actions in a service layer as
well as in the web tier. (From various discussions I've come to the
conclusion that there are two schools of thought on this. The Carreira
model which says its quite fine to have your actions in the service
tier, and the Porter(Lightbody?) model which says have your actions
live above the service tier. However in both instances you still
wouldn't be bound to the Servlet API)

I would argue thought that since WebWork supports portlets already,
removing support in SAF2 shouldn't be taken lightly.

Cheers,
   Eric