struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: XWork 2, JDK 1.5
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 17:41:44 GMT
At 12:20 PM -0500 5/23/06, Eric Molitor wrote:
>My experience is that it's quite a bit faster than CVS (especially
>over a WAN) but to be honest the biggest advantages I've seen are with
>file moves, renames, and branching. SVN seems to handle them all
>relatively painlessly which is a significant improvement over CVS.
>
>Also the SVN support in IntelliJ seems to be better than the CVS support.
>
>Of course, YMMV. XWork isn't particularly large so I don't know what
>the overall impact would be.

It also may be wasted work if there's an idea that the whole
repository may be moving again (that is, to Apache) in 6 months.

That said, I recall people generally saying that the SVN
import-from-CVS tools work pretty well, and they also are able to
preserve CVS history, addressing Rainer's question.  I haven't
actually done such an import myself.

If Jason has a lot of uncommitted changes, it would probably make
sense to let him commit them before migrating, if the migration is to
go ahead.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog