struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject [OT] reading resources from nested JARs (Re: [VOTE] Struts Action Framework v1.3.4 Quality)
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 18:18:53 GMT
At 10:50 AM -0700 5/11/06, Michael Jouravlev wrote:
>I think it is much cleaner to have DTDs and other default XML files in
>the JAR, but sometimes it might not work.
>
>The hosting that I use for the samples, uses Tomcat 4.x, which
>supposedly should support SRV 2.3 and therefore it should be able to
>pull DTDs from classpath. Yet, this does not work, I don't know
>exactly why. But if I put DTD files into lib directory and configure
>them in web.xml then everything works fine.

Do you deploy your webapps as WARs?  We often find ourselves bumping
up against something when we need to read classpath resources from a
JAR within another JAR; in fact, this is why we don't deploy webapps
as WARs, and we've also had similar problems with the classworlds
"uberjar" mechanism which makes JARs for standalone execution along a
model similar to WARs.

Has anyone ever seen formal documentation of this issue?  We've
always just worked around it.

>The bottom line, it is better to hide DTDs in the JAR, but in case it
>does not work a readily available HOW-TO should be provided.

Indeed.
--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog