struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject DWR/Struts integration: why? (Re: JavaOne Ajax Discussion)
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 15:12:47 GMT
At 10:46 AM -0400 5/24/06, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>I haven't seen your work, so I can't talk intelligently about it... I
>would agree though that if DWR is going to make HTTP calls to execute
>Actions (a suggestion I might add that I made about two months ago to Joe
>with regard to how to better integrate with Struts), then that certainly
>alleviates my concern.

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm still confused
about why someone would want to "integrate" DWR with Struts?  I've
only used it a bit, but in each case, I didn't really see much value
in coaxing it to work through Struts' request processing model.
They co-exist quite peacefully in a webapp without needing to know
anything about each other.

I'd think a well designed application would have both Struts Actions
and DWR remote objects obtaining services they need from the
ServletContext, Spring, or some other independent mechanism, and DWR
doesn't need to render a view in any conventional way... so what is
left for Struts to do?

I admit that I did extend DWR so that the ExecutionContext could
provide a reference to a Struts 1.3 ActionContext (or rather, my
custom subclass of it), so that I could maintain consistency in how I
interacted with various session attributes... but it seems to me that
anyone who is extending ActionContext is also in a position to extend
DWR where necessary.

I would think it probably better to advise people to use
ServletFilters where they want common behavior on every request.

Help me out here...

Joe
--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog