struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: DWR/Struts integration: why? (Re: JavaOne Ajax Discussion)
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 23:48:07 GMT
Argh... just so no one thinks I forgot about this... I've had to work
from home all this week for various unforeseen reasons, and of course as
a pessimist like myself would expect, the mostly working code got lost
since this weekend.  Thought there was a copy on my thumb drive, but of
course not, copy on PC was since squashed, etc.  Typical Murphy's Law.

I believe there is an older version sitting on my work PC, so as soon as
I get back there (which doesn't look to be tomorrow either), I can get
it and figure out what I had fixed subsequent to that.  Argh I say,
ARGH!  That just reminds me to set up SVN on my new home server this
weekend!

And Jason, I get what you wrote here about the Result, I was planning on
refactoring to that before this little setback :)  I don't think it
would have been a problem per se to render the response in an
Interceptor, that seemed like it was going to work, but it did present
the problem of mixing and matching XML/JSON as we were discussing, so
for that reason alone it would seem to make sense.  Thanks for the info
on that!

Frank

Jason Carreira wrote:
>> Ted and Jason, I did see your messages about
>> AroundInterceptor and
>> Result correspondingly... right now, in the interest
>> of simply getting
>> it working, I'm just doing a simple AroundInterceptor
>> using before() and
>> after(), one interceptor for XML and one for JSON
>> (although as I just
>> wrote that it dawned on me that that probably won't
>> work because mixing
>> XML and JSON probably won't work... might have to
>> combine them and allow
>> configuration... I'll see...)
>>
>> I read up on Restults a bit yesterday, and I can
>> certainly see why you'd
>> say that Jason... this still feels to me like
>> something that should
>> really be just an interceptor though... but, the code
>> is at this point
>> generic enough that moving it or putting it in a
>> different form
>> shouldn't be a big deal, so that can be decided
>> later... lemme just get
>> it all working first :)
>>
>> Frank
>>

> The problem you're having composing the JSON and XML is because the output should be
a result. Interceptors don't produce content, that's orthogonal to their usage. Results are
all about generating output. What would happen if I configured an Action with the JSON interceptor
to read the incoming request and produce output, but also configured the action to have a
JSP page as the Result? They can't BOTH write to the output stream.

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com