struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Roughley <...@fdar.com>
Subject Re: JavaOne Ajax Discussion
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 16:38:14 GMT
There is a point that I would like to re-iterate.  The proposal is for 2
separate approaches:

#1 - Have struts2 actions accept JSON / XML content when being called
from a URI and have JSON/XML responses.  This is to allow struts2 to
interact with any ajax/XHR framework, and would involve new interceptors
and result types.

#2 - Use DWR for struts2 ajax-based widgets.  This should be a tight
coupling of a UI element to a back-end function / action - i.e. get a
list of things to display in the UI.

The way I see #2 working is this - we have a specialized DWR object that
accepts requests and calls an action (from a preconfigured package) the
same way that it does today via Http. We also introduce several new
interfaces - for example lets say AjaxList and AjaxObject.  The
specialized DWR object has several methods that can be called depending
on the type being returned (i.e. the interface that it uses to return
the result, or whether the result is rendered and returned).

This is very similar to what Alex has.  Damn it!  You guys beat me to
this ;-)

/Ian