struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: [action2] Public API first draft
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 21:26:35 GMT
I'm not quite ready for a vote on the API, because I think what we'd be voting
on is still under active discussion.

We could decide under what criteria we will be evaluating these API changes.  I
propose they be:

  1. Can we get a GA release out by August?
  2. Will at least WebWork 2 apps have an easy (as in hours, not days) transition?

I realize that might mean we have to put of some more drastic changes to the
next release, and it may result in some compromises, but in the end, I think it
is more important to get a usable, timely release out to our users, and ensure
their migration will be smooth.  Migration, in particular, is a key concern
because it is an important advantage we could hold, as other frameworks tend to
require a complete redesign and re-education of developers.  I want Struts
Action Framework 2 to be seen as easy and powerful, not just from a feature
standpoint, but also migration, education, and "conceptual space" one.

This doesn't preclude making sweeping API changes that the average users either
won't see or aren't noticed since the old objects/interfaces still work
correctly.  The question then becomes one of energy available to offset new
changes with proper backwards-compatibility support.

Struts users have been looking for a smooth transition to next-generation
technologies for some time now, and I think we've let them down.  It is time to
deliver.

Don

Gabe wrote:
> I agree both that this is the core decision that has to be made now and that we should
push some of this stuff into XWork.

> I won't vote though, because I've learned we're discussing not voting :-D

way I'm leaning on this, but we need to pick a direction. If we're going to redesign the API
and get things right, then lets decide to do that and re-open WebWork to bug fixes and more
releases in the meantime. Either way I'd like to push some of this stuff into XWork, not just
leave it in SAF2.