struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Action 1 and 2 as separate projects? (was This has gone too far.)
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:39:28 GMT
At 8:44 AM -0700 4/26/06, Don Brown wrote:
>A few weeks ago, my reaction would have definitely been no, Struts
>Action is the project and there are two versions.  However, as
>Action 2 has moved along, and we've migrated resources like the
>wiki, jira, and Action 1 to Maven 2, I'm starting if you might not
>be on to something.
>Just from an SVN and JIRA perspective, it is much more natural to
>treat them as two different projects, and I'd argue from a user and
>website perspective as well.
>
>I think the project names should remain the same, but from a project
>management perspective, I'm starting to agree with you they should
>be clearly separate.  Keeping Action 1 and Action 2 as the names is
>important as it conveys progress, migration, and similar goals,
>however, I think we would be better off to treat them as to separate
>projects.

+1.  The differences between SAF1 and SAF2 are comparable to, for
example, the differences between Maven1 and Maven2, or Tomcat3,
Tomcat4, and Tomcat5, or Cocoon1 and Cocoon2, etc etc etc.  I had
always figured we'd make the same kinds of distinctions on our site
that those projects have.

Are there really people out there who have things they want to
contribute to Struts 1.3, but they just aren't because of some
uncertainty about the future?  I don't understand this (or maybe I
don't believe it), but if it's true, please don't be shy.  Step up
and do what you want to do, discuss it on dev, add issues to the
tracker, etc.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog