struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: [action2] [VOTE] Target Java 5, support 1.4 through Retroweaver
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:49:14 GMT
So... is that a +1? :)

As for annotations, I'd imagine we'd keep the XML as override so most anything you can do
with annotations, you could
also do in XML.  This would give Java 1.4 users mostly the same capabilities.

Don

Alexandru Popescu wrote:
> This looks quite nice. I cannot figure out what means support for
> annotations. Even if they are left inside the classbytecode, you will
> not have access to the API to use them (except the case they are
> weaving the Class.class, but I really don't think so).
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
>

> On 4/24/06, Don Brown <mrdon@twdata.org> wrote:
>> There has been a lot of discussion on Java 5 support for Struts Action 2, and from
my reading of the comments, we have
>> settled on a path, but I want to formalize it in a vote to ensure we are all on the
same page.

>> I vote we develop Struts Action 2 with Java 5, taking advantage of it where ever
we can.  At the same time, we should
>> use Retroweaver to build jars that will run in a 1.4 JVM.  For those that aren't
familiar, Retroweaver supports
>> conversion of an impressive amount of Java 5 features and language changes.  In summary,
Retroweaver supports [1]:

>>      * generics
>>      * extended for loops
>>      * static imports
>>      * autoboxing/unboxing
>>      * varargs
>>      * enumerations
>>      * annotations
>>
>> Therefore, our development philosophy will be to take _full_ advantage of Java 5,
but provide a working jar for Java
>> 1.4, however, we can't guarantee every Struts Action 2.0 feature will be available
to Java 1.4 users.

>> [ ] +1 Make Java 5 the target
>> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move, but I'll still mainly interested in 1.4
>> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
>> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
>>
>> I'll tally the votes after at least 72 hours and include the count in our STATUS
file.  The vote is open to anyone.