struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: [action2] Switching to Dojo widgets
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:36:11 GMT
Ian Roughley wrote:
> Ok, I'll be more specific :)  The tags that you use in JSP are directly
> available to other view technologies (freemarker and velocity) due to a
> common underlying component model.  To make this possible they have
> their own MVC design - using a freemarker template as the view.
>
> So you can use any ajax library that you want.  But if you create a new
> UI theme via templates, I think you are better encapsulating the logic.
> SAF/WW is by no means dojo specific, but dojo was the first ajax theme
> implemented, and it looks like the default out of the box.

Ok, that's the theory, but in practice, different toolkits have widgets that support different
parameters.  Currently,
we have a Component class, which has getters/setters for its parameters.  Should this class
have accessors for every
possible parameter?

Take, for example, the date picker widget.  I just switched Action 2 to Dojo's Date picker.
 Unfortunately, it has very
few parameters and supports no localization, however, the component class has a bunch of parameters,
all supported by
the old jscalendar Javascript library.  Do I remove all the unsupported component class parameters
and someone let users
know they won't work, or do I replace them with parameters supported by the new date picker?

Don