struts-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas De Loof <nicolas.del...@capgemini.com>
Subject Stripes-like RequestProcessor
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:42:15 GMT

Hello all,

First, please notice I'm glad with Struts and don't want to start a new
"Is struts dead ?" thread.

I've read Matt Raible's Java web framework sweet spot [1] and I noticed
two points :

- "modern" web framework use conventions to make new developer use the
framework quickly and write less code/conf
- direct use of model objects to get user inputs seems acceptable, even
if loosing the form-bean "firewall" function.

I've quickly looked at Stripes, and noticed the main technical
difference (expect use of java5 annotations) with Struts comes from the
Struts RequestProcessor lyfecycle :
- it requires Actions to extend "Action",
- form-beans must extends "ActionForm",
- populate formbean occurs before validation, so it's requiresd ot be
type-safe.

Creating an alternative RequestProcessor may drop those limitations. To
make Struts work similar to Stripes, it would require :

1. use model beans as form-beans
Struts now can use form-bean not beeing ActionForm using
"BeanValidatorForm" wrapper, but it still require type-safe form-bean
population. I've searched a way to override population and collect
conversion errors as a "first level validation", but did not find a way
to bypass javabean Introspection without fully rewriting processPopulate.

2. action not beeing singleton anymore.
I've overriden processActionCreate to get action beans from a Spring
context (and fall back to standard action creation)

3. invoke an "event" method.
I've write a small event caller Action that looks like a DispatchAction
but does not require the "actionBean" to extend Action.

Did someone make similar experiments ?
I'd be interested in any suggestion that enables use of model beans as
form-bean (using a BeanForm wrapper).

[1] http://raibledesigns.com/page/rd?anchor=java_web_frameworks_sweet_spots

Nico.