struts-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Struts Wiki] Update of "RoughSpots" by DonBrown
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:49:11 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by DonBrown:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/RoughSpots

    1. Do we want to keep `ModelDriven`?

    1. Do we want `ValidationAware` (or its equivalent) to take message keys or actual messages.
It takes the actual messages in WW2. `ActionMessages` in Struts takes keys. I'm a fan of keys;
we would no longer need `TextProvider`. Pat suggested we take keys, and in the event that
we don't find a message for the given key, pass the key along as the message. I think I'd
rather fail fast.
+     * [mrdon] Keys are fine, as long as you can do parameter replacement easily enough later.
 Not all apps need L18N, so I'm kinda against the fail fast.  Perhaps in devMode, we add a
clear warning?

    1. Craig McC mentioned that we might want to use this in a portlet. Does this mean I should
completely abstract us from `HttpServletRequest`/`PortletRequest`?
+     * [mrdon] +1, at least in some form.  This was the goal of the generic ActionContext,
I believe.  Cocoon has been struggling with the same issue, and they are leaning towards implementing
the HttpServletRequest, et al with a portlet impl to solve this problem.  They used to have
this generic "Environment" api, but they are in the process of giving that up, I believe,
favoring this servlet api approach.  I wonder if we shouldn't find out more about their results
and adopt them.

  == Patrick's issues ==