struts-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Struts Wiki] Update of "RoughSpots" by MartinCooper
Date Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:35:12 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by MartinCooper:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/RoughSpots

    * [mrdon] I'd like to use Java 5, but use retroweaver to continue to support 1.4.  If
we keep XML in addition to annotations, that should be very doable.
      * [crazybob] Sounds good. We'll also need to handle JDK-1.5 only APIs (concurrency for
example).
    * [Gabe] I am required to use 1.4 at work. To me the question of whether to require 1.5
comes down to whether the same shops that are stuck using 1.4 are also not going to let people
use Struts 2.0, because it is too bleeding edge anyway. In that case it doesn't make sense
to allow 1.4, because the only people who would be using it would also have access to 1.5
anyway. I don't know if that is the case though.
+   * [martinc] The big issue with the JDK version is app servers. This comes in two parts.
First is whether all of the major app server vendors have products available that support
the desired SDK version. I believe we're OK in that regard with JDK 1.5. The bigger issue
is customer acceptance. Enterprise customers, especially, tend to standardise on their app
server, and they are not quick to upgrade. Unless the application vendor has a great deal
of influence over the customer's infrastructure, the vendor has to live with whatever app
server version is in use at the customer site. It is rare, then, that the application vendor
can dictate the JDK version. On the other hand, the customer usually couldn't care less what
version of Struts the application was built with.