struts-dev mailing list archives

From tm jee <tm_...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Action2] Naming convention & Showcase example
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 00:15:25 GMT
Thx for the reply Ted.

I've accidently renamed

com.opensymphony.webwork -> org.apache.struts.webwork

which should actually be org.apache.struts.action2, I'll change them back before tomorrow.

Sorry for the inconveniences caused.  :-)

----- Original Message ----
From: Ted Husted <ted.husted@gmail.com>
To: Struts Developers List <dev@struts.apache.org>; tm jee <tm_jee@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, 1 April, 2006 9:54:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Action2] Naming convention & Showcase example

On 4/1/06, tm jee <tm_jee@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Just wondering have we come to a conclusion on the naming convention.
> The showcase examples currently have package declared as org.apache.struts.action2.
> but the actual directory is still com.opensymphony.webwork. etc , should we used the
> apache one or does the showcase remains using the opensymphony package name?

They just haven't been renamed yet, Toby. If your account has been
setup ,and you have some time, feel free to jump in. If you haven't
used the SVN rename feature before, now is as good a time as any :)

As to the renaming, there were a lot of suggestions, and suggestions
about the suggestions, but I think in the end, it came down to simply
mapping the project and product names, from one to another.

* org.opensyphony -> org.apache.struts
* webwork -> action2

For a tag prefix, most people got behind "saf" as a default, so that's
what I'm using in the new Cookbook and MailReader applications.

There was a lot to do here, and I'm sure there were other oversights.
But, we can rely on Subversion to make those easy to fix. One thing on
my list is that configuration and property files were renamed
"struts", where, if we are following the simplified mapping, would be
better named "action".

At some point, we might also want to amend the framework to also look
for a webwork property files, so that people don't need to fuss with
those right way. Ideadlly, it should just be a matter of changing the
imports, and some defaults in the xwork.xml.

Of course, the naming issue is not as important as the IP issues. We
don't have to rename anything to clear the incubator, but we do need
to ensure that the copyrights are in order, and remove any
dependencies on conflicting licenses.

-Ted.