struts-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: WebWork renaming strategy *revised*
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:02:40 GMT
Paul Benedict wrote:
> Johnathan,
>
> I don't see the necessity of a problem from within your viewpoint.
> Struts 2.0 is going to be built from WebWork; I suppose you can
> consider Struts 2.0 a fork of WebWork,

Well, it's not _really_ a fork. The main Webwork developers are coming
over here.

But in any case, I'm not at all arguing about the legalities of what can
be done with forked code or not.

Really, my objections are not in the realm of what is legal, as I'm sure
ASF has that covered. My objections are more in the realm of what is
good taste.

My sense of things is that systematically excising the strings "webwork"
and "ww" from everywhere as if they were curse words is in very
questionable taste.

But I recognize that it could be a matter of "Each to their own taste".

Also, I have made no bones about the fact that I consider this whole
"merger" to be in very questionable taste anyway, and other people
obviously don't share that feeling, so you know...

> because, unless I am unaware
> of something here, this doesn't prevent other people from developing
> WebWork if they want to continue it.
> It is going to become a different
> product and probably contain new things WW may not want to do on its
> own. So, I understand your perspective, but I don't think there is
> anything wrong with the way things are being handled. And as Ted
> pointed out, WW folks are on board with this. -- Paul

Well, yeah, of course they can do what they want. It's not my code in
this instance, so you have no particular need to pay much heed to me.
OTOH, I consider it likely that other people might feel that same unease
and not be expressing it...

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker group blog, http://freemarker.blogspot.com/