struts-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: WebWork renaming strategy *revised*
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:46:59 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:
> On 3/25/06, Paul Benedict <paul4christ79@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Isn't the purpose of this to excise the webwork name? I thought
>>it was. Why else would you want to become "Struts 2.0" if not
>>for the name? I don't see this renaming as a slam against the heritage,
>>but this entire process doesn't make any sense unless you're specficially
>>wanting to be rebranded as Struts.
>>-- Paul
>

> From a historical perspective, it might be worthwile to note that the
> process begin with a post that Patrick Lightbody made to the "Java Web
> Alignment Group", in which Patrick said that he would like to see
> WebWork "join forces" with another project. Don and I followed up with
> Patrick and Jason. Our initial discussions are archived here:
>
> * http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/STRUTS2/Home
>
> Whlie we were having these discussions, several other developers
> became active within  WebWork and also became WW committers. To
> include these people in the process, we broadened the incubator
> proposal and asked the other WW committers  if they wanted to sign on.
>
> * http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@struts.apache.org/msg17308.html
>
> Everyone choose to do so, and here we are.
>
> -Ted.

Ted, none of what you say or link above provides a rationale for
removing the string "webwork" from all package names.

If this sets well with the Webwork people, then I guess it really is
their business. But I have been trying to imagine (obviously
counterfactually) a situation where we would give FreeMarker to ASF --
and the very first thing done in the code is to excise the string
"freemarker" from every last place, including n levels deep in package
hierarchies.

You know, there has been a community that has existed for years. You had
people who donated code, who partook in discussions of new features,
submitted bug reports. Anybody who donated to the project in any given
way could feel a sense that they contributed in some way to this. Why
not leave a bit of the heritage of the product history there in the
package naming convention at least? I think that's more fair to all the
people who extended themselves -- however minimally -- to bring this
body of work up to its current point. You leave something there that
allows people to see that this is something that they (however minimally
in some cases) contributed to. A lot of people put work into this and I
think it would be better to show some respect for the history of this
project that you are basically getting dropped in your lap.

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker group blog, http://freemarker.blogspot.com/