struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Dakota Jack" <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] What can I do?
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:26:30 GMT
What is the basis for saying "[b]oth ASF and Apache Struts are
standard-bearers"?  What does this mean and what is the import, for both ASF
and Apache Struts, separately? This is not a challenge or anything like that
but a sincere request for clarification.  What is a "standard-bearer".  Are
you saying that both ASF and Struts are somehow beholden to Sun to do this?
Why is Struts seen as the standard-bearer for JSF.  If a "standard-bearer"
was needed for JSF, why wasn't a separate one created?

Sun itself seems to be supporting the GlassFish project on this one, so why
does Struts also get the job?  You can imagine all the questions about this
simple paragraph.  The assumptions behind this little bit of what you had to
say are huge.  Can you not flesh them out so that someone not into the
politics can see what is really going on?  I cannot tell what this means.

On GlassFish:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/faq/GF_FAQ_2.html#community,
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/ -- ,
https://javaserverfaces.dev.java.net/servlets/NewsItemView?newsItemID=3340 ,
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Projects/GlassFishModuleOwners?rev=1.19 , and
at http://java.sun.com/javaee/javaserverfaces/ .

"*Current Status <http://java.sun.com/javaee/javaserverfaces/download.html>
* The latest build of JavaServer Faces technology 1.2 is integrated into the
GlassFish project. Click the Current Status link to read more about what's
happening now with JavaServer Faces Technology and to download
specifications and reference implementations."

Anyway, before anyone could make an intelligent proffer of anything they
would have to know what is the basis for your statements about ASF, Struts
and JSF, as well as a bit of clarification as to what you mean.

<snip>
On 3/20/06, Ted Husted <ted.husted@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Both the ASF and Apache Struts are standard-bearers, and, like it or
> not, JSF is a designated Java standard. Given volunteers, we believe
> that it is appropriate that Apache Struts provide JSF developers with
> a MVC framework to fill in the gaps left by JSR 127, just like Struts
> Action fills in the gaps left by the servlet platform

</snip>

~Dakota Jack~