struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject JS Libraries (was Re: [WebWork2] TODO)
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:00:27 GMT
>I had very bad experiences with Dojo so far, and I brought this into
>discussion on ww forums. I wouldn't encourage moving to Dojo, because the
>browser support is still lacking, and from the feeling we got from their ml
>some of the old browsers, that are still used (f.e. IE 5.5) will be  missing
>in the next versions.

If you believe http://thecounter.com/stats/2006/March/browser.php, IE
5.5 only has 2% market share.  I wouldn't blame a project for not
spending a large amount of resources supporting that.

That said, I think we should try to keep the JS libraries as
pluggable as possible.  But maybe it's impossible to bundle valuable
features and still do that -- I was really surprised at how many
dependencies Webwork accepted, and I'm still trying to work out for
myself whether that's better in the long run.  I think the Struts
community philosophy was very conservative about that, but it may do
us well to challenge that philosophy.

Still, having roots in that philosophy, again my inclination is to
try to be more library agnostic.  Can that work?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog