struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Applying Annotations to Struts (Re: [OT] What can I do?)
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:50:01 GMT
At 9:15 AM -0800 3/20/06, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>On 3/20/06, Phil Zoio <philzoio@realsolve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>  Ted,

>>  "The original Struts Action codebase suffers from design deficiencies
>>  that would take some effort to remedy."
>>
>>  This may be true, but I don't believe that it is a completely lost cause.
>>  The work that I have been doing with Struts Java 5 extensions proves (to me
>>  at least) that it is possible to move from the existing 1.2 code base to
>>  something with compelling features and free from the issues often associated
>>  with the Struts Action 1.
>>
>>  See:
>  > http://www.realsolve.co.uk/site/strecks/index.php
>>
>>  Phil
>

>I happened to see Phil's presentation to the JAVAWUG group in London last
>Friday.  There are some interesting ideas here (and they would seem
>applicable in either a 1.x or 2.x Struts Action Framework context).  I would
>suggest thinking about an optional layer (requires JDK 1.5) on top of the
>base framework that made available features like this ... similar in spirit
>to what the Tiger Extensions do in Shale.

I haven't had a chance to look at Phil's work yet, but would just
point out that it's possible to use annotations without requiring
Java 5.  That may not be an itch Phil wants to scratch, but worth
keeping in mind unless there are other aspects which also require
Java 5.  I know my sysadmin has pretty much guaranteed that we are a
year or more away from moving our hosted systems to Java 5, and I
doubt he's the most conservative one out there.  (well...  maybe :)
naah.)

Spring, at least, supports Annotations in pre-Java-5, so there is an
example that could be mined.  I don't know how much extra effort it
takes, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog