struts-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Standalone Tiles] Maybe too much bound to Locale
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:17:17 GMT

On Mar 27, 2006, at 5:54 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> I've noticed that both DefinitionsFactory and ComponentDefinitions
> are both too (IMHO) tightly bound to the Locale.
> What I mean is that maybe using Locale class to distinguish between
> different sets of definitions is not a good idea. From my point of
> view, I think that where you are using Locale maybe it should be
> used a simple Object.
> This way you leave to the implementation what's the use of that
> "Locale"
> In the Struts-Tiles version there is the concept of "key" in the
> FactorySet.createDefinitionsFactory, that is a simple Object. I use
> it to do my own way to localize definitions.
> In other words, don't you think that "Locale" in those interfaces
> should be Objects?

Ok, I had to take a day to think about this :-)  I see your point,
but I also agree with Craig that Locale is important.  Here's the way
I see it:  We see the tiles definitions set as a 2-dimensional data
set.  One axis is the name and the other is the locale.  There's the
added wrinkle that definition data from one name can inherit data
from another name.  By adding "channel" to the mix I think you are
adding a 3rd dimension.  In your Dimensions architecture do you
choose a definition based on name, channel, *and* locale or only name
and channel?

So, I don't think we want to lose the dependency on Locale.  (I'll
have to take some more time to consider your point about it being a
final class.)  I think Locale is a critical differentiation in
choosing a Tiles definition.  But what about adding an API that
requires a generic Object key parameter to support the 3rd
dimension?  I'm not sure if the use case is common enough to make it
part of the core API.  If not, could it be added to an extension?
Again, I can see where you are coming from, but I really don't think
we should lose the locale dimension that's already there.

Thoughts?
Greg