struts-dev mailing list archives

From Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Consolidate extras, EL, taglibs, and faces under 'action' (was Maven groupId and svn repo structure)
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:00:23 GMT
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> On Fri, March 17, 2006 1:48 pm, Don Brown said:
>> I might as well make this its own proposal:  I propose we consolidate the
>> 'extras', 'el', 'taglibs', and 'faces' subprojects under the 'action'
>> subproject.  We would keep the extensions as separate, but include them in
>> the 'action' subproject meaning they will continue to share the same
>> version
>> number and release cycle.
>
> Just to see if I understand... There would be a single "Action" entity,
> that contains all of these?  If you download "Action" you get extras and
> el and taglibs, etc.?  In other words, what has been the case for some
> time would still be the case, except that we call the entity "Action" as
> opposed to "Struts".  Is that correct?  If so, definite +1 from me.

Yes, but really, it wouldn't, from an end user perspective, be much different than now.  Currently,
you have this Struts
Library Distribution, or whatever it is called now, that contains all the extension jars in
addition to the Action 1
jar.  In this proposal, you'd still have that distribution to download, only now, you wouldn't
have to worry about the
version number of each component matching up.

> think a very good one.  I recall there being a fair bit of concern raised
> when the decision was originally made... if some of those concerns have
> come to fruition, quite possibly because other things happened in the
> intervening time (was the WW merger on the table when this was decided for
> instance?) then reversing the decision makes sense.

The subproject split was way before the WW merger, and IIRC, I was the one that did the original
SVN moving arounds at
ApacheCon two years ago.  The emergence of Action 2 changes things completely, and IMO, the
reasons we split as we did
aren't valid anymore.  I don't see it as much as a reversal, but a new evolution.  We are
still keeping many of the same
subprojects, just consolidating the Action 1-specific ones ahead of the Action 2 start.

Don