struts-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Struts Wiki] Update of "StrutsAndPortlets" by MarkyGoldstein
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:05:08 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by MarkyGoldstein:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsAndPortlets

The comment on the change is:

  Are there plans to write a frontcontroller for portlets: ActionPortlet (modelled like ActionServlet)?
  BEA's JSR-168 compliant portal already accepts struts webapps,
- but from what I can gather the struts app need to be configured to use their (propiertary?)
frontcontroller.
+ but from what I can gather the struts app need to be configured to use their frontcontroller
(propiertary? not exactly; see the Open Source Project Apache Beehive, but yes, Portlets are
not yet part of J2EE & Servlet specification... - you still need a Portlet Container,
but even Tapestry and Spring ar delivering Portlet support already or very soon).

- Doesn't IBM's Portal Server framework use a modified version of Struts?
+ Doesn't IBM's Portal Server framework use a modified version of Struts? (I don't think;
the IBM Portal Server is a MVC based Portal running on their own kind of architecture, but
it can easily integrate Struts Portlets: the question is what is a Struts Portlet and is it
really the best solution?)

  Jetspeed 2 also has its own Struts-Portlet Framework, allowing Struts applications to be
developed as JSR-168 portlets.
- Its still preliminairy work based on a nightly snapshot of Struts (20040407) but already
the example application is running fine as a portlet.
+ Its still preliminairy work based on a nightly snapshot of Struts (20040407) but already
the example application is running fine as a portlet. (I guess this Struts-

  The Apache portal project contains a [http://portals.apache.org/bridges/multiproject/portals-bridges-struts/index.html
Struts bridge] that allows Struts and Struts tiles applications to be run as JSR168 portlets.

+ ----
+ I agree that Portlets are an important technology, and that technology should be better
integrated into Struts and Struts-Shale, and there should better integration in all Servlet
Containers. Microsoft is also give Webparts as part of .net 2.0.
+