struts-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r371806 - /struts/sandbox/trunk/archetypes/shale-blank/
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:03:23 GMT
On 1/23/06, wsmoak@apache.org <wsmoak@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: wsmoak
> Date: Mon Jan 23 20:28:33 2006
> New Revision: 371806

> Log:
> Copied the Shale Blank webapp for conversion into a Maven 2 archetype.

Thanks Wendy ... if anything ever turns me into a Mavenite, it will
probably be this feature :-).

Just a heads up, on a different topic, though ... I'm going to be
doing some refactoring on the way that the Ant builds create artifacts
for the nightlies and future releases:

* shale-framework-YYYYMMDD.{tar.gz,zip} - All the sources and
  javadocs for everything, plus the JAR files for the libraries
  (shale-{clay,core,remoting,spring,test,tiles}.jar).

* shale-dependencies-YYYYMMDD.{tar.gz,zip} - A snapshot of the
  "lib" directory that "ant download-dependencies" creates, for folks
  who can't or don't want to grab them the usual way.

* shale-XXXXX-YYYYMMDD.war - A web application archive
  for each appication (incudng its own dependencies).  Sources
  will be in the overall framework artifact.

The idea is that it doesn't scale to package multiple war files in the
overall release artifact with roughly 3mb of duplicated ibraries.
This way, you'll be able to download just the WARs you are interested
in.  Of course, you can also build them yourself from the sources in
the framework artifact.

If this is difficult/impossible to arrange with Maven I'm open to
other ideas, but I need to start adding some more examples and still
want to minimize the size of the download that contains only the
framework stuff (which looks like it'll be around 1.5mb for the tar.gz
version and 2.8mb for the zip version).

Craig