struts-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Rename Struts Ti to Struts Action 2.0 Proposal, keep Ti as code name
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:58:12 GMT
On 12/21/05, Don Brown <mrdon@twdata.org> wrote:

> As we discovered further at ApacheCon this year, there is a lot of
> confusion as to what Struts is and where it is going.  The story that I
> think we are all in agreement is Struts has two separate but equal
> frameworks - Action and Shale.  To avoid further confusion, I propose we
> rename Struts Ti to Struts Action 2.0 Proposal, while keeping the Ti as
> the code name.  I think we should be clear that Ti is not some "third"
> framework, but a candidate for Action 2.0.
>
> This proposal involves:
> - Renaming the package from org.apache.ti to org.apache.action
> - Clearly indicating on Ti pages that it is the Action 2.0 proposal
> - Keeping the Ti code name, but clearly labeling it as such
>
> Comments?

If "Struts Action 2.0 will be based on Ti" is really the endgame, wouldn't
it be more efficient than to just call a vote on that?  There seems to be
widespread agreement that this is what should happen (once we include the
other details of what Ti means with respect to integrating WebWork).  It's
not obvious to me what is gained by formally adopting a name change that
only reflects the current reality, versus focusing on defining what we want
the future reality to be.

Don

Craig