struts-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [shale] jsf-commons??
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:04:31 GMT

> This has come up recently on the Myfaces-dev mailing list.   We're
> probably going to be splitting off a "jsf commons" package at some
> point.   Myfaces/share contains what would probably end up in such a
> package.
>
> Do a search for thread "[proposal] myfaces-core.jar" on the
> myfaces-dev mailing list, Nov 29th to 30th.

For the simple kinds of utilities you're describing, hosting such a commons
at the MyFaces project would make a lot of sense -- all the developers there
would be JSF savvy and the users of the JSF implementation, and/or the
components, would both be interested in this kind of stuff.

On the other hand, if the functionality you are implementing is very
specific to a framework, the utilities ought to stay with that framwork.  In
the current Shale code, for example, you could argue that the
LoadBundle.java and Messages.java utilities are sufficiently general purpose
that they might fit into a commons (and it would be fine with me if the
commons project wanted to copy them) -- but something like
AbstractViewController should stay in Shale because it's fundamental
functionality of the framework.

AbstractFacesBean.java would be another commons candidate, because it is not
really framework specific.

Craig