struts-dev mailing list archives

From David Geary <sabrew...@gmail.com>
Subject Rép : [shale] Overall requirements for "remoting" feature
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:09:10 GMT
This proposal is almost exactly what I envisioned when I filed the RFE. Only
one thing gives me pause:

In addition, the configuration information mapping incoming URL patterns to
> corresponding processing logic modules will be made available in a simple
> JavaBean stored in application scope, so that dynamic code (such as the
> renderer for a JSF component wanting to utilize these facilities) will
> know
> what kind of context relative URL is required).

Given these capabilities, and assuming some default mappings, one could have
> all of the following facilities with *zero* application level
> configuration,
> other than including the appropriate Shale library into /WEB-INF/lib:

Zero-config is great, but IMO, this sort of business--mapping incoming URL
patterns
to code--should be configurable outside application code. The mapping bean
is fine,
and some developers will undoubtedly find that method of configuration
indispensable,
but I think it's too much to ask for simple cases.

Of course, the best case is when developers can use Shale Ajax without even
knowing
that there's an API (or configuration) for mapping URLs. If we provide
reasonable defaults for
Ajax calls we can partially realize that goal.

david